Interested in learning more about Digital Humanities? Or technology in general? How do you keep up with the latest? Here are some pointers (primarily for those working in Classical Islamic Studies).
Which tool should I use?
- http://dirtdirectory.org Various tools
- http://tapor.ca/home Specific for text research
- https://arstechnica.com/ I find its ‘tech’ section best, and mostly leave out the other categories. Its writing certainly has a more technical knack to it, but their opinion is usually highly informed.
- https://www.cnet.com Has reviews on nearly any device, including comparisons. Often fairly informative.
Digital Humanities Specific
- https://twitter.com/dhumanities_rr, global reach, cross-disciplinary, this Twitter accounts serves you excellent examples of work being done, as well as opportunities for work and publishing.
- https://twitter.com/dhnow and http://digitalhumanitiesnow.org . Unsure about how well this feed is maintained, but the idea is to give you an aggregate of everything DH.
- http://www.rightrelevance.com/search/influencers?query=digital%20humanities&taccount=dhumanities_rr&time=1446129069.01 A different way to find interesting DH resources.
DH for Scholars of Premodern History
- http://archivalia.hypotheses.org German blog with high quality original content and DH news.
- https://twitter.com/PersDig_UMD Specifically on Persian Studies.
- http://amirmideast.blogspot.com Curated lists of digital and online resources for Islamic Studies
- https://programminghistorian.org Tutorials on programming specifically for Historians.
- Digital Humanities Quarterly http://digitalhumanities.org/dhq/
- Digital Medievalist https://journal.digitalmedievalist.org
- Digital Philology https://www.press.jhu.edu/journals/digital-philology-journal-medieval-cultures
- Digital Scholarship in the Humanities https://academic.oup.com/dsh
- Manuscript Studies https://muse.jhu.edu/journal/698
- Comparative Oriental Manuscript Studies Bulletin https://www.aai.uni-hamburg.de/en/comst/publications/bulletin.html
- Digital Islam http://www.digitalislam.eu
- RIDE http://ride.i-d-e.de
- Digital Studies / Le champ numérique http://www.digitalstudies.org/ojs/index.php/digital_studies
Quick fix solutions
- https://wetransfer.com File transfer
- https://pastebin.com Text sharing (esp. code)
- https://imgur.com Image sharing
- https://www.random.org Random numbers
- https://www.futureme.org Future emails
- http://www.fakenamegenerator.com Random identity
- http://www.yopmail.com/en/ Random email
- http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/ Random email
- https://www.33mail.com Random email
- http://ismyemailworking.com Email control
- http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi Image metadata
- https://text-compare.com Text comparing
- https://wordcounter.net Word counter
- https://piktochart.com Graphics, graphs
- https://camelcamelcamel.com Price comparison